Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cuando en Chile! Viva la Chile!

So it has been a week and one day since I have arrived in Chile. The past 7 days have felt like a lifetime. Since I have started my adventure in the land of the Chileans I have come to embrace the term “Cuando en Chile! Viva la Chile!” which simply means “When in chile. Live Chile!”

For example: In Chile they do not have heat in homes, schools, businesses, restaurants, clubs, or public places. (disclaimer I’ve only been to Santiago, Vina del Mar, and Valparaiso) They choose not to have heat. They could have it but they don’t want it. And no one complains about not having it. I on the other hand have been freezing my butt off. The first 3 days we spent in a hotel/condo type thing and they had one heater in there that was placed in a one window pane glass sliding door. So much for insulation. Then when I got to my new home for the next 5 months I quickly came to notice they didn’t have a single heater. That’s ok. Instead I have about 10 blankets on my bed that I refuse to come out from under in the morning. I’ve already started to adjust to the cold and it doesn’t bother me but then again that just might be the 3 sweatshirts I’m wearing keeping me nice and cozy.

So “Cuando en Chile! Viva la Chile!” is my way of accepting everything different about Chile!

The group I came with is freaking awesome. I feel for the most part everyone is here to have a good time, meet new people, experience new things, and well to learn Spanish! Some have already taken care of learn the Spanish part but the majority are on their way. And a few of us are just starting, like me! The west coast is the majority in the group. The mid west has a good showing. But the east coast is defiantly out numbered here. Those of us that are from the east coast could so take all of those from the west and mid west!

But anyway there is so much I want to say so I’m just going to keep it short. Classes start next week so I’ll have a lot more free time to myself and I’ll try to post at least once a week for the time I’m down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment